Answered By: Terri Bogan
Last Updated: Aug 22, 2015     Views: 47

Peer reviewed articles are a type of scholarly journal article (as opposed to popular magazine articles). I'm embedding a video below that discusses the difference between these two types. Scholarly/peer reviewed articles are meant to be used by scholars and professionals; popular magazine articles are written to the general public. For instance, it would be the difference between articles found in Journal of Psychotherapy and articles found in a pop psychology magazine like Psychology Today.

In order to find these articles, use one of our Research Databases (like Omnifile or ProQuest). These can be found by going to the Library website at and clicking the Research Databases tab above the search box on the screen. You will then see a drop down menu; choose Broad Topics / General Databases from the drop down menu. Then choose either Omnifile or ProQuest. Once you are in one of these databases, look for a box to check that says either peer reviewed or scholarly. This will limit your results list to scholarly/peer reviewed articles.